One More Mommy

Thoughts of a mom and her husband, son, daughter, pets, friends, job (or lack thereof), house, family, trying to be more ecologically aware...

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

If We Had To

Today, I loosely crunched some numbers and found that with our savings and student loans, we could get by for the six months until Esposo's graduation if I were not working.

That is exciting shit right there.

I mean, that's news. That's amazing. That's "the goal" all off in the distance that we've been working towards.

And if we had to, I bet we could really stretch it out, getting rid of DVR and internet and cable, which cost a whole damn hell of a lot. Getting rid of Netflix and my organizer fees on some web groups I run.

We're truly not extravagent people. We don't eat out often, which doesn't mean we make quality home cooked meals, but we aren't spending money on wine and steaks. We grill our own steaks. Neither one of our wardrobes could be considered cutting edge, or current, or appropriate for fine evenings out. I read about people who own Coach handbags and know that I will not own one for a long time, and when I do one one? I will own one.

And shoes? Oh please. My non slip safety shoes are daily wear and each wedding I am confronted by the fact that I have no cute little black dress shoes to pop on. It doesn't help that I have wide, fat feet, and cute little black dress shoes usually cause foot pain.

I get 1-2 manicures and pedicures a YEAR and also 2-3 haircuts. At supercuts.

There is a part of me that would like to be in the salon for weekly treatments to look my spiffiest, but the rest of me loudly complains that that's a pretty stupid way to spend money and I should keep those pamperings as just that, pamperings.

If I stopped working today, I would get no pamperings and no new clothes and I'd be doing to my own hair what I did to Luke's. But you know, just knowing that if we had to, we could? Damn exciting stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home