One More Mommy

Thoughts of a mom and her husband, son, daughter, pets, friends, job (or lack thereof), house, family, trying to be more ecologically aware...

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

My Neighborhood is Old

We bought our home with the intent that it would be a home that we could stay in for many many years to come. It's not a perfect house, but it's a good home. A two car garage, four bedrooms, and an unfinished basement which Esposo has great and wondrous plans for. And the kitchen, well, I'm planning a major decorator overhaul in a few years and that will be lovely to behold, as painful as it is to wait for.

Our neighborhood is huge. I'm guessing we are in the midst of... 700? homes. It's very hard to guess how many homes are around us, but 700 seems reasonable. All three schools (elementary, junior high, and high school) are within walking distance. The community center is half a mile away, and we've already taken two classes there.

But my neighborhood is old. The first houses were built in the late 1960's. Ours went up in 1967. That's not the part I meant by old, though.

It's the people. Most of the people in my neighborhood are pushing 50 and sometimes 70. Their children are in high school at the young end, and bringing the grandkids over on the older end. I had visions that I would get to know my neighbors, talk with them, hang out with them. But they're going with lives set up, not like us, just getting into the whole parent thing. So far I've met one woman with a son Luke's age to set up play dates with.

We're going to have to wait some years for the older people to move out and people closer to our age to move in. I suppose it gives me something to look forward to!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Do you live in Naperville by any chance? I found your blog by going to NEXT BLOG. My son's name is Luke too, but he's four. We might be neighbors!

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home