One More Mommy

Thoughts of a mom and her husband, son, daughter, pets, friends, job (or lack thereof), house, family, trying to be more ecologically aware...

Friday, March 31, 2006

Thursdays with Lucas

Last night I woke at 2 AM and Esposo wasn't home. I lay in bed for a little while, then got up to check if he had come home and fallen asleep on the couch as he sometimes does. Nope. I checked the driveway and his truck wasn't there. At this point, I was starting to worry, so I called his cell phone. Naturally, he didn't pick up. Now I'm convinced he's dead on the road somewhere and why hadn't we gotten around to getting that insurance? I'm never going to be able to stay home now, I'll just have to pay off his school debt and work forever and it'll just be me and Lucas going through life because how would I ever meet anyone with an infant in tow? And how will I be able to deal with my grief and Lucas will be calling Da! Da! at the funeral and we'll all break into sobs at the heartwrenchingness of it.

Seriously, this is what goes through my head, so could you call?

Life with a one year old is completely different than I thought it would be. I don't think I expected a one year old to have as much personality as Luke does, and everyday more of his personality comes out. Granted, it scares the ever-loving crap out of me, but still, his personality.

First of all, the kid's a bit anal. He really enjoys placing books on the shelf and taking them off. Put them on, take them off. Good times. He always places them the *right* way, with the spine facing out. And he only likes hardcover books. If you put a soft cover book on the shelf? He will scream at it and rip it off the shelf.

Megablocks may only be stacked like-on-like. If it's a square four 'prong' piece, another square piece goes on top of it. Do not even attempt to fool him with four one prong pieces, for those will be ripped off and chucked far away.

In general, Luke is learning how to do many more things, but he's always wanting to do things that he can't. And he gets very frustrated, like when the books won't stay upright on the shelves. He will actually break into tears about this.

As for other children, let's just say the kid needs work. There's a little girl almost exactly the same age as Luke at daycare. She's not quite walking yet. Luke likes to go up to her and sit on her. He also picked up a stuffed animal that she's afraid of, and when she cried and crawled away, he followed her with it, laughing all the way.

His routine? He's learning too much about the given routine! Yesterday was a beautiful spring day and we spent an hour outside. We walked, we ran, we sat on the bench and watched the cars go by. Then we went in for dinner. Luke had some fruit and then refused any other food. I took him out of his high chair and let him go off on his own. He ran into the family room, got on the couch, and got out the remote. See why I had to preface this with WE PLAYED OUTSIDE FOR AN HOUR? Because I am such a rotten mother that the kid knows the after dinner routine is to go watch TV. Gah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home