One More Mommy

Thoughts of a mom and her husband, son, daughter, pets, friends, job (or lack thereof), house, family, trying to be more ecologically aware...

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Islam

Fundamentally, I have some issues with Islam. You know, the whole thing about stoning women and the burqa, it really creeps me out. I generally don't get really into religion from a personal choices perspective, it's all pretty much mental to me. I don't like the idea of pushing my ideas and thoughts on the universe on anyone else. Or anyone pushing them on me. I'll do my thing, you do yours.

But now, this hajj thing? 345 people dying in a stampede (and this is the third or fourth time people have died en masse during this hajj in recent years)? Oh. My. God. All Muslims of financial capability REQUIRED to do this pilgrimage in their lifetime? And they have to go throw stones at the devil (these three stone towers) on each of three days?

Would someone wake up the religious leaders and say Um, this doesn't seem to be working out so well, maybe we should work this out a little different.

Why the hell do people think that whatever God or creator or higher being there may or may not be thinks it's a good idea to go throw stones at some other stones? Or not eat meat on Fridays? Or give up control of your family to your husband?

It just doesn't make sense, people. If (God or creator or higher being) is that kind of sicko, we're all screwed anyway, because you put your right shoe on first on Tuesdays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home