One More Mommy

Thoughts of a mom and her husband, son, daughter, pets, friends, job (or lack thereof), house, family, trying to be more ecologically aware...

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Paperwork and Passwords

I hate having pieces of paper in my house. They clutter things up, collect in stacks, and invariably I can't find the correct piece of paper when I want it. In a related line, I also hate all the memberships that stores and groups are constantly trying to give me. Grocery store cards, discount cards, membership cards. My keyring has two keys on it and 47 little plastic cards.

Everywhere you go, they want you to join join join, so they can start sending you paper and emails and collecting data about where you live, what you buy, who's in your family, and extract all kinds of data to best market their products. Which, really, I'm fine with, just don't give me any more stupid pieces of paper or little plastic cards. I'll forget I have it when the time comes, or even better, will know I have it, but be hunting through my purse for five minutes ticking off everyone behind me and still won't be able to come up with the stupid little card.

Can we just implant a chip in my finger and be all Orwellian 1984 already? Stop the pretense with these damn cards. I'll give Big Brother the information.

And then, of course, there's the internet. And the signing up and choosing a password. I just want to read the Trib online, do you really need a drop of my blood for registration? And the signing up and password choosing wouldn't be so bad if they could just get some standard length and format for their passwords. 6 or 8 characters? Numbers or no? Does case matter?

I have my standard three or four passwords to choose from, but I can't remember from site to site, and I've now locked myself out of one site because I tried too many times.

Good thing it's not anything important. Just my pay statements. Which I don't get in paper form in an effort to reduce paper because if I get something like a pay statement on paper, I am compelled to save it. But if I never get it in paper, it doesn't matter. Highly logical.

I don't even know who my payroll administrator is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home