One More Mommy

Thoughts of a mom and her husband, son, daughter, pets, friends, job (or lack thereof), house, family, trying to be more ecologically aware...

Friday, April 11, 2008

A big black waste box!

I am very excited today, because yesterday we got the compost box I ordered! Yay! Compost! This 'greening' thing has been impacting Esposo, too, I believe - he commented the other day that he was noticing all the garbage on our street on garbage day. Well, we are now going to make an impact on what we put out there.

Honestly, I'm rather nervous about composting - if you read up on it there are greens and browns, layering and turning. You really want a 'hot' compost pile, you know. If I can get a 'hot' pile, then I can start throwing the dog poop in there. But can I get the mixture right?? How much turning will I have to do?? But I'm ready to start doing this - just a $70 investment for the big black box!

I set up the box this morning and it went together pretty easily - four plastic sides and a black plastic lid - black to absord heat from the sun and help get things cooking! Once I figured out where I was putting the box (on the side of my house next to a bush, well away from neighbors in case things get smelly while I learn) I dug out the irises that were there (we have a huge patch of irises that have been needing to be moved) and put my box in. Then I collected all the materials I've been piling in various places - kitchen scraps and dry plant pieces - and tossed them all in there. My initial fill left it about 15% full. Already this has improved things, though, as I no longer have banana peels in my backyard!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home