One More Mommy

Thoughts of a mom and her husband, son, daughter, pets, friends, job (or lack thereof), house, family, trying to be more ecologically aware...

Monday, September 19, 2005

Time is Flying

I went to my cousin's baby shower yesterday. She's due in five weeks and time is moving slowly for her, nights are long and sleepless. I remember those weeks, the waiting that never seemed as though it would end, wanting desperately to see this new person who was being formed. For her sake I hope the next five weeks go quickly, smoothly.

One of my best friend's father is dying. On the outside they're giving him six months. Which is exactly how far away her wedding is. I remember going through that, and trying to live normally though nothing was normal. I hope for her sake (and her father's) that each day lasts a hundred hours.

One of my cousins was born on the same day that my father died. It's not a cousin I'm close to, as a matter of fact, I've only met her two or three times in my life. But it always seemed like an unusual, important thing, to know someone who was born as someone else died.

The past seven months seem enormously more important than any other seven months of my life, because they represent my son's ENTIRE life thus far. It is important to me that I try to show him as many things in the world as possible. Yesterday my husband brought him to the baby shower, so that he could meet my aunts and cousins. I was glad we took that opportunity, though he cried at meeting so many new people, and reached out for me to keep ahold of him.

Just six months ago, Luke never slept through the night.

Just five months ago, he moved into the crib in his room.

Just four months ago, he rolled over for the first time.

Just two months ago, he was learning to sit up.

Just over a month ago, his first teeth came in.

Just two weeks ago, he learned how to creep around the house.

Having an infant is a lesson in how important every day is. You learn that when you're pregnant, especially if you're concerned with premature birth. Every single day you don't have the baby is a victory. I thought about those milestones through my pregnancy though I had no scares of preterm labor. And after they're born, you learn that every single day they're learning something new.

I'm looking forward to this fall. This weekend we're taking Luke to his first football game. My brother is coming in for his second visit to see Luke - ever. We've got his Halloween costume ready to go. And Christmas - I admit to thinking too much about Luke's first Christmas, and soon after that, how we are going to celebrate his first birthday.

But THIS morning I enjoyed feeding him a bottle while he kept his eyes closed and snuggled against me, his hand again finding my thumb to stroke it and hold it. This morning I tickled him on the family room floor until he giggled just to see me raise my hands. This morning he crawled around the upstairs hallway as I sat at the top of the stairs taking pictures and realized that my quick swipe with the vacuum last night didn't do much against the the embedded dog hairs. This morning we got up close, nose to nose, and talked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home