One More Mommy

Thoughts of a mom and her husband, son, daughter, pets, friends, job (or lack thereof), house, family, trying to be more ecologically aware...

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Just Wait, It Goes So Fast

Probably the number one thing that annoyed me during my pregnancy was just wait. I'd say I was feeling okay, and someone would tell me to Just wait until you can't see your feet! or that I had heartburn and they'd tell me Just wait until you can't even eat anything your stomach is so squashed! These comments annoyed me because they ignored what I was experiencing (I'm okay with tips, really, how about 'I ate saltines'?) and also assumed that what I would experience in pregnancy would be the same as someone else. And pregnancy? Is an individual experience.

I don't know what Just wait is supposed to do for me. It's a 'You think you've got it bad' competitive feel, the need to tell someone it's going to get worse, and to the next point, It Goes So Fast.

I hear that every two seconds it seems, about children. Enjoy it now, because it goes so fast. In a blink, they'll be 18. Well, that makes a lot of sense, because half a blink ago I was 18.

And then we cycle back around to Just Wait. Just Wait until they're toddlers throwing a temper tantrum. Just wait until your teenager wants nothing to do with you.

Pardon me, I'm still working on enoying it now, because it goes so fast.

I know that these are conversational tools. It's an easy start to a conversation, a bland nothing to toss out there. People who I'm close to - they don't toss these in the conversation. They know I'm enjoying it now, and that really, I can just wait. To hear it 10 times a day from people who are just trying to say something without saying anything, well, just tell me you miss those days when your kids were young, and I might ask you how old they are now, and what they're doing, and then we can talk Momma-et-Momma.

1 Comments:

Blogger starlitebrite said...

I totally agree with you! I hated that crap when I was pregnant too. 2 kids later, I know what is up with pregnancy!

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home