One More Mommy

Thoughts of a mom and her husband, son, daughter, pets, friends, job (or lack thereof), house, family, trying to be more ecologically aware...

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Online Hobbies

As you can see, one of my online hobbies has become this blog. It disappoints me daily that I'm not writing as well as I would like to, but it keeps me from going insane, and apparently there are 5-6 people who read it. I will refer to you as "My Adoring Public".

Another online hobby for me is selling the crap out of my house. Ebay and Half.com are my friends. I particularly love Half.com because I can post up the books I have for sale, leave them in a stack in the guest room and wait for the money to come pouring in. Get rich INSTANTLY! Actually, with my 20 or so books on inventory, many of them absolute crap, listing for $0.75, it's not exactly the best get rich scheme. My brother has those, which deal with obscure medical books retailing for $300.

Anywho, another book sold today, some French grammar book my brother had left at my mother's house. That'll teach him. It brought $20 to our family coffers, which isn't a bad return on something I found in a closet.

The thing I love about selling things online is that I declutter AND I get money. Both are things I like. It amazes me constantly what people collect. I understand sentimentality - I certainly wouldn't put my beloved and beleaguered Cabbage Patch Doll for sale online. There's no money in that anyway!

But Strawberry Shortcake and her friends hit the auction block and brought in over $100. I think that traumatized my mother a bit, as she thought I would have more love for ol' Strawberry. I was quite into the 'cake as a wee one. I feel good knowing that they went to collectors, though. Even the doll (I believe her name was Butter Cookie) whose leg was chewed off by my childhood dog in his puppy days (and really, the doll smelled like COOKIE - can you blame him?) sold on Ebay for $5 or so. As did Apple Dumplin', who had a case of mold spots on her little plastic legs.

People buy anything.

1 Comments:

Blogger *lynne* said...

heyya, reading this article reminded me of something I stumbled across recently: here's the link: http://tinafolsomphotography.com/ebay_song.html check it out for a laugh :-)

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home