One More Mommy

Thoughts of a mom and her husband, son, daughter, pets, friends, job (or lack thereof), house, family, trying to be more ecologically aware...

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Reading

I've toyed with adding a 'now reading' section to the sidebar of my blog, but that would require knowing the titles of the books I'm reading, and most of the time, I can't do that.

Recently I've finished All Is Vanity, The Secret Life of Bees, The Queen's Fool, and The Virgin's Lover. I give them C, B+, B+, B-, respectively. I'm kind of over the English middle ages reading for awhile, since I started off with The Other Boleyn Girl (A) and reading three books like that in rapid succession is just too much. And plus, you see how they went A, B+, B-? I'm wondering if that's precidely because I read them in rapid succession.

The way I am getting many of my books now is through Bookcrossing - basically, it's a way to trade books with people, at least it is the way I am doing it, since I go to a meeting once a month, approximately. This is fun because 1) free books. And then 2) they are different books than I would have picked up. Because a lot of my friends and family read mysteries and mystery type books and I need breaks from the formula books with real novels that are about characters that will only live in this one book, and there's some overreaching message that the author is trying to convey.

And then, after I read a few novels, I go back to the mysteries, because I need to rest my brain.

My sisters in law are involved in book discussion groups. I don't want to discuss my books. I want to read my good story, get lost in it, and then swim back to reality slowly and comfortably.

2 Comments:

Blogger Isabel said...

I love to read also. I just finished "In Her Shoes" while in Europe. Not *that* great.

I love "The Drifters", have you read that? Check it out!

3:38 PM  
Blogger Elisette said...

Would that be The Drifters: A Christian Historical Novel About the Melungeon Shanty Boat People? Because I have certainly never heard of it! Or Melungeon. Must go find what that means!

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home