One More Mommy

Thoughts of a mom and her husband, son, daughter, pets, friends, job (or lack thereof), house, family, trying to be more ecologically aware...

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Out of Sync

In an ideal world, when I came home from work, the house would be relatively clean, and there would be some kind of dinner awaiting me. Luke would be happy to see me, Esposo would be happy to see me, and we'd all sit on the floor and play and talk for awhile, until dinner was ready, which we'd all sit down to eat together.

This is not what happens, of course.

People are constantly saying that marriage is hard. In most religions, they have you taking some kind of compatibility test to see if you mesh on finances, child rearing, and spouse expectations. And really, you have to know on the big topics because you're going to spend a lot of time being annoyed that while your Esposo did a wonderful job of putting the final wall up in the bathroom, he also left a maze of boxes in the bedroom and you're the one who gets up in the dark.

When I get home after Esposo has been at home with Luke all day, he nearly races to his office to get on the computer and watch TV (because he never does just one). I understand the need for alone time, I truly do, because between the baby, the dog, one very needy cat, and one somewhat needy cat, I have had plenty of times where I am simply shoveling in a bowl of cereal while telling the child (who already ate) that this is mommy's food, elbowing the cat who is trying to find his way under my arm, and keeping the dog a leg's length away.

It doesn't mean it doesn't bother me that we don't have the opportunity to sit and watch TV together after our idyllic family dinner every night. That's how I want it to be. I'd also like it if there were fewer renegade floating hair animals in my front hall, a kitchen counter cleared of 'stuff', and a bedroom with all the clothes in drawers and on hangers, not in laundry baskets or draped on chairs.

We're working on it, I think we get a little bit more together each month, and I certainly think we're coming out of one of the 'rough patches' of our lives together once Esposo finishes school.

In just 108 days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home