One More Mommy

Thoughts of a mom and her husband, son, daughter, pets, friends, job (or lack thereof), house, family, trying to be more ecologically aware...

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Parenthood Surprises

There were a lot of things I expected from parenthood, like the screaming. I did not expect that most times the screaming elicits little to no reaction from me. When I know there is no problem, I mostly feel like this is something he has to work out for himself and let him continue with the screaming. Sometimes I try to give him things that might calm the screaming, or show him things that are interesting, but in general I just kind of wait. And oftentimes I walk into the other room and continue with whatever might need to be done.

I'm a mean mommy like that.

Another thing that has surprised me is the food. So far, and yes, I know this is subject to change at any given point, Luke has been willing to eat a lot of things. More so than I ever was, apparently. He eats meats and fruits. He actually REJECTS goldfish crackers in favor of grapes. Obviously, this child has some defective taste buds. The thing about the eating, and the needing to feed him healthy things is that it's caused me to eat healthier. Surprise!

The weaning is another surprise for me, mainly because I never thought about it before. We are now struggling to get Luke to drink from a sippy cup, not a bottle. The wise books or websites or something I picked up down at the local bar told me to offer him water in a bottle and milk in a sippy. Kids will pick the milk, the said.

And they would be wrong. Luke is perfectly content drinking water from the bottle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home