One More Mommy

Thoughts of a mom and her husband, son, daughter, pets, friends, job (or lack thereof), house, family, trying to be more ecologically aware...

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Transitions

Last week was Luke's first full week at daycare - sort of. Monday was a holiday at the center and my mom watched him, and then he was only there for half a day on Friday, so if a full week is 3 and a half days, he was there for a full week.

So, really, this is his first full week at daycare. I like our daycare, I do. Luke really likes one of the teachers and is getting to know the other one, who's only been there for a couple of weeks. He's generally happy when I go to pick him up.

The biggest problem with daycare, though? Luke doesn't sleep well there. At home, he'll put in a two hour nap. Maybe in addition to a one hour morning nap. At daycare, he's having a really good day if he gets in two one hour naps, and then there are days like today, where he only took one one hour morning nap.

It's not that they don't put him down for a nap, it's that he won't go to sleep.

So tonight, I tried to keep him up until 7. That was the goal, 7 PM. At 6:45 I popped him in his crib and he complained loudly, which he hasn't been doing, so I took him out, which is when I realized he had a slight funk about him and needed another diaper change.

So I tried to do that. And he screamed. Screamed as if I was plucking his toenails off one by one. I tried to remain calm, I tried to sing song, I tried to ignore him until he calmed down, but it was a twisted fight. He was tired and ready to go to bed, but couldn't go to bed with a dirty diaper. And too cranky and tired to let me change his diaper in a calm fashion.

I have a hard time thinking or a point where I will spank or hit my child, but tonight wasn't the first time I've had to struggle to hold him in position while I just got his diaper on. It goes against every part of your nuturing need when you have to do something like that to your child, when all you want to do is hold him and he won't let you, so you have to get the situation to a point where he can calm down. In this case all I needed to do was get him in his crib, with a diaper on, and I knew he would settle down. And I had to physically force the issue.

And in two minutes he had settled into happy murmurs with his blankets, and I'm left feeling tired and drained.

1 Comments:

Blogger Isabel said...

I have a big giant fear of just wanting to spank the crap out of my (future) kid when he pushes me buttons. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Good luck with daycare!

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home