One More Mommy

Thoughts of a mom and her husband, son, daughter, pets, friends, job (or lack thereof), house, family, trying to be more ecologically aware...

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Chicago Touring

About five or six years ago, when I truly began to appreciate cities and how their histories form them, I became very smitten with Chicago. Fortunately, this wasn't a passing affair, but has developed into a true love.

I'm not a hip, trendy kind of girl, or a foodie, so while Chicago certainly has 'hot-spots' and high end restaurants, they don't interest me. What really interests me about Chicago is the average joes. The politicians. The ethnic stew. The oddities.

To that end, in my smitten phase, I decided to try and identify some different Chicago landmarks in my knowledge base so I could give a unique tour to visiting guests.

I got exactly one landmark in my tour before I moved on to other things.

"Kwanusila, the Thunderbird, is an authentic Kwagulth Indian totem pole, carved in Red Cedar by Tony Hunt of Fort Rupert, British Columbia.

The crests carved upon the totem pole represent Kwanusila, the Thunderbird, a whale with a man on its back, and a sea monster.

Kwanusila is an exact replica of the original Kraft Lincoln Park totem pole, which was donated to the City of Chicago by James L. Kraft on June 20, 1929, and which stood on the spot until October 9, 1985.

Kwanusila is dedicated to the school children of Chicago, and was presented to the City of Chicago by Kraft, Inc. on May 21, 1986."

Chicago MetroBloggin

I'm starting to collect suburban history now, though...

1 Comments:

Blogger Elisette said...

I really like that I missed the 'g' on MetroBlogging...

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home