One More Mommy

Thoughts of a mom and her husband, son, daughter, pets, friends, job (or lack thereof), house, family, trying to be more ecologically aware...

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Exhaustion

I talked to my cousin last night, who has a three and a half month old baby girl. Said baby girl is not sleeping "through the night" yet, though she is sleeping five hours at a stretch. My cousin asked me what I did to get Luke to sleep through the night (which he first did at six weeks) and I had no answers for her. And Luke further cemented the fact that I had no idea how to make babies sleep by waking up at 3 AM last night. So um, yeah, no good advice from this source.

When Luke started fussing in the night, I lay there listening and silently begging him to go back to sleep. I tried to pull my body out of bed when he had been fussing for about 5 minutes and was escalating into crying. And I just couldn't do it. Esposo, gorgeous wonderful man that he is, got up to care for the night owl.

He left me to dream for a couple more hours, and what dreams they were! I was acting in a skit with John Belushi, and we had a son. The son came home and announced he was gay, but his father (John Belushi) wasn't disappointed in him until he saw that the son was wearing a Green Bay Packers jacket, and then he ranted and raved and such. High comedy in my dreams. High. Comedy. (<- sarcasm)

And this morning? 1(X-1)9.2 Yeah, baby, yeah.

5 Comments:

Blogger Isabel said...

It's all about sleeping through the night.

Here's hoping that my baby takes after Luke.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Elisette said...

I wish you well... but then Luke is rotten about taking naps, so I don't know if you want that either. Ya know, if it's not one thing, it's another :)

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's easy. Let the child sleep between you. It cries because it wants you

7:48 AM  
Blogger Elisette said...

Yay! My first stupid comment! BESIDES the fact that Luke slept in a bassinet next to our bed until six weeks and when we moved him to his crib we found that I was waking up when he wasn't fully waking up, thus disturbing his sleep cycle AND the fact that our bed is about 3.5 feet off the ground, AND the fact that I wouldn't sleep at all because I'd be terrified of hurting him, AND the fact that the AAP (Am. Ac. Pediatrics) says cosleeping resulted in the deaths of 515 children from 1990 to 1997 (75% of those under three months), AND the fact that Luke will scream WHILE I'm holding him and simultaneously push away because he's too tired... wait, what's my point? I call BS on cosleeping!

8:15 AM  
Blogger IronDow said...

Don't forget that cosleeping is CREEPY. "Son, for your 16th birthday, I think it's time you get your own room." Honestly, we have little time together as it is. Adding a baby to the bed will NOT make things better. What really scares me about this comment is that there are people out there who think this is a good idea. Who are you? I need to call DCFS. Not that I'm being judgemental.

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home