One More Mommy

Thoughts of a mom and her husband, son, daughter, pets, friends, job (or lack thereof), house, family, trying to be more ecologically aware...

Monday, January 30, 2006

Saving Money

My mother in law got me a subscription to Real Simple magazine for Christmas, and I do enjoy this magazine. I had had a subscription at one point a few years ago and let it lapse, because that's what I do. There is some direct opposition though, of the mission and the magazine - Simplify Your Life! By buying this magazine? Isn't it... simpler not to buy?...

This month's issue loudly lauded on it's cover saving $3 to $3000! How to stop the money draining from your wallet!

Hm. Everytime I read these things I am utterly disappointed.

Pay your bills online and save on stamps!
Put in a programmable thermostat!
Don't pay annual fees on credit cards!
Make your coffee at home!
Bring your lunch to work!
Meet the girls out for a walk instead of dinner!
Don't drink alcohol!

Wait, I may be confusing the sage how to lose weight advice with the how to save money advice. I think they're of the same vein, though - don't spend money on stuff vs. don't put stuff in your mouth that has calories. If someone could let me in on a secret yoghurt that tastes JUST LIKE chocolate peanut butter ice cream, and actually GENERATES income? I'm all over that.

And if someone could invent a treadmill that would recharge batteries while you walked/ran? That would be awesome. Because what great incentive it would be to SAVE money because you are working out.

Maybe you need to be extra special cheap like me to be motivated by that...

1 Comments:

Blogger Isabel said...

I love Real Simple. But for some reason, my magazines are going to our old house and the person who bought the house is keeping them. Jerk.

Your idea about charing batteries while you work out is GENIUS!

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home