One More Mommy

Thoughts of a mom and her husband, son, daughter, pets, friends, job (or lack thereof), house, family, trying to be more ecologically aware...

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

With a Kid

My next step on my eco-conscious journey is nearing. And crap is this going to be a hard one. Let's recount what we've done so far:

1. Replaced the furnace with a highly efficient furnace.
2. Replaced all windows in the house with highly efficient windows.
3. Switched to cloth diapers.
4. Reduce electrical consumption by unplugging appliances and charging cords when not in use and hang drying diapers and children's clothing.
5. Bought a front loading washing machine.

Step 6? This is the grocery bag question. I love the idea of using mesh or cloth bags at the grocery store, but it's a habit I need to develop. And developing any new habit that involves me leaving the house in a timely fashion with a toddler and an infant is HARD. I haven't even remembered to bring bags in to be recycled in months and months, and they're starting to take over. I also dread trying to communicate my non-paper or plastic needs to the baggers while trying to wrangle a two year old and organize coupons.

I think what's going to end up happening is that I'll be going to the grocery store in the evening, and I don't like going out in the evening to run errands. Really. I don't know why, but after 5-6 PM, I settle in. I never understood why, back when I was young and crazy, we couldn't go out and start drinking at 7 PM rather than 10 PM. Shift everything forward three hours, I pass out by 12 PM and we're all good! I don't really want to see three AM.

But yeah. Grocery bags. SHALL-ANGE!

1 Comments:

Blogger *lynne* said...

...so what do you do for garbage disposal? Kosh and I stick to plastic bags when grocery shopping because they then double as garbage bags: unfortunately they are not biodegradable... coulda sworn they had figured out how to make biodegradable plastic bags around the time I graduated... or was that all just hallucination? :-(

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home