One More Mommy

Thoughts of a mom and her husband, son, daughter, pets, friends, job (or lack thereof), house, family, trying to be more ecologically aware...

Thursday, June 26, 2008

May Cause Discomfort

I read there are debates about the children of Mommy Bloggers having their privacy violated by there parents sharing their stories, but I am of the position that sharing stories in whatever forum is only going to help us all be better mothers. So I'm writing this, wishing I had had it to read BEFOREhand.

Today I gave Luke a suppository. He hadn't pooped since LAST THURSDAY and he was holding it in and looking very uncomfortable all day. My MIL had mentioned the suppository option a few weeks back. I trekked to Walgreens after Esposo got home and read all the boxes. I came home with Pedia-Lax, for ages 2-5.

Basically, you're shooting glycerin up their butt. The box noted "May Cause discomfort and a burning sensation." Though we got only about a quarter of the dose into Luke, he screamed. And I mean he SCREAMED. "IT HURTS! GET IT OUT OF MY BUTT!" And he screamed and he screamed as we sat there with him, talking about what we were going to do the next day, wiping the sweat from his brow with a cool cloth, bracing his legs as he SCREAMED.

It was god-awful. I was terrified I had done something wrong and hurt him inside. I kept checking the toilet for blood. I didn't know how long we would have to wait.

I think it took 10-15 minutes before it was said and done, and EVERYTHING came out. Luke feels much better now, and I'm very relieved, but I feel like a rotten mother for not getting him back on Miralax sooner. He's still far more constipated than I thought, lsat week's poop success aside.

I would do it again, but I hope I never have to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home