One More Mommy

Thoughts of a mom and her husband, son, daughter, pets, friends, job (or lack thereof), house, family, trying to be more ecologically aware...

Friday, November 02, 2007

Methodius

My father has five siblings, and he is the fifth. They arrived girl-girl-girl, boy-boy-boy. The first boy is named Vladimir, after their father. The third boy is named Methodius, after their grandfather. My father is named John.

He dodged a naming bullet there.

I didn't know my Uncle Joe was actually Methodius until five-six years ago. I thought it was funny as hell. I still do, and I think if I were saddled with some ridiculous Czech first name, I'd have to laugh about it, too. I don't know if he found it funny, historical, or merely annoying.

Uncle Joe died yesterday.

I'm not close to any of my father's siblings - since my father died when I was young, we didn't go to those family gatherings. I don't remember any of my uncles ever playing with me. But Uncle Joe was an easy going guy, with a penchant for really lame jokes. He sent me emails on political points every now and then (we agreed on our politics).

Uncle Joe died mostly, I think, because he never had the surgery on his heart the doctors said he needed. They didn't have enough insurance. I haven't seen Sicko, but maybe I don't need to. Maybe I already got the point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home