One More Mommy

Thoughts of a mom and her husband, son, daughter, pets, friends, job (or lack thereof), house, family, trying to be more ecologically aware...

Friday, February 03, 2006

Marriage

I was talking to a high school friend the other day, who went to a different college and had a very different post college experience than I. I mentioned that we have seven weddings this year. Her comment was "Wow, you're back in the wedding game!"... which, no, because we had never been IN the wedding game before.

My friend was engaged before she graduated and married less than a year later. She was in a sorority and her husband was in a fraternity, and as seems to be the custom in those situations, they went to DOZENS of weddings right after college.

I went to... hers (Wait, I just remembered two others. So, three. I went to three). My own wedding took place over three and a half years after graduation, and I took five and a half years to graduate. We were still one of the earlier marriages in the circle of friends. And while our friends are starting to pair off and marry, Esposo and I still count a number of single people in our group of friends (who we never see anymore, because we have a child, no money, and are hermits).

In that first summer after my friend was married, I studied abroad in Germany, and one day I received an email from her saying she had lost her job and she didn't know if she and he husband would make it through this. I think she was being dramatic, but since I was in Germany and couldn't really call, I never knew the whole story. They have been married for almost seven years now, and have a son just one month older than Luke, so they made it through that rough period.

I can't help but give a slight eye roll as I type 'rough period' here.

Esposo and I have not lived with certainty or simplicity since we were engaged in December 2002. In just over three years we have had job loss, marriage, job change, unintended pregnancy, close family deaths, moving, birth, and now we're simply facing the latest challenge - Esposo finding a job post MBA graduation. The last six or eight months has been the calmest period of our marriage, when we have only had a new baby, school, work, and home improvement to juggle everyday.

And when I look at my choice in partners, I think I hit the jackpot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home