One More Mommy

Thoughts of a mom and her husband, son, daughter, pets, friends, job (or lack thereof), house, family, trying to be more ecologically aware...

Monday, October 10, 2005

Apple Trees

I studied up on my apple tree care so that I can get some apples next year. I like trees, and I could see our trees becoming a hobby for me. We've done a decent amount of maintenance on the trees, working hard at getting them into respectable shape. I spray our crabapple tree this year and it wasn't affected by blight. i think that's what it had.

My timeline to applesauce is:
  • February - Prune 5-10 feet off the top of the tree. Anyone want to do this? In FEBRUARY? Ugh. But it is way overgrown up there.
  • April - Spray with dormant oil to prevent/kill codling moths, which is what we had this year.
  • April - 10-10-10 fertilizer, 1.5 pounds.

    Then I'm supposed to spray about once a week through the summer. I don't know if I'll get that far, I don't expect great apples next year, just to get the tree on the road to healthy.

    And it's a good thing we didn't cut down the crab apple tree or other small apple tree we have, because they cross pollinate.

    Now you know a little more about caring for apple trees! Aren't you happy?

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home